A monumental example of the late international style that rose along the blocks just west of Rockefeller Center, 1185 Avenue of the Americas was designed by Emory Roth & Sons, corporate New York’s go-to architectural firm for much of the postwar period. The tower is a classic example of their work, exhibiting trim vertical lines accentuated by white marble piers.
1185 Avenue of the Americas was originally known as J.P. Stevens Tower, after the textiles firm. Founded in 1813 by Nathaniel Stevens in Andover, MA, the company was one of the first in the United States to use machinery to weave textiles on a large scale. The location of its headquarters in the 70s just a few blocks north of the Garment District was certainly a calculated move. Today the area offers a versatile mix of public amenities and cultural attractions, with the MoMA, the New York Public Library and the Theater District all blocks away.