304 Park Avenue South is a 12-story boutique office building located on the southwest corner of 23rd Street. The building is steps from the beautiful Madison Square Park and within walking distance of both Gramercy Park and Union Square. It is surrounded by some of the city’s most exceptional restaurants and features an abundance of neighborhood amenities, including subway access and abundant retail. The 6 subway line sits directly in front of the building with nearby access to the 4, 5, N, R, W, and F subway lines. The newly renovated entry, lobby, and elevators have a clean, modern edge aesthetic.
304 Park Avenue South is an excellent example of the work of Clinton & Russell, a prominent New York-based architectural firm responsible for numerous significant buildings throughout the city, including several projects for William Waldorf Astor, 1st Viscount Astor, heir to the prominent Colonial-era family. These included, what was at the time of its construction, the largest and most luxurious apartment building in the world, the Apthorp at Broadway and West 78th Street. 304 Park Avenue South shares that building’s delicate Renaissance-derived ornament and strong but lofty proportions.
The first 11 stories of 304 Park Avenue South were completed in 1904. In 1916, a two-story penthouse (not visible from the street) was added for the artist Jules Guerin, whose works include the murals at the Lincoln Memorial, which were created in part at 304 Park Avenue South. In 1925, a unique development occurred, a second, adjacent penthouse added by the building’s then-owner Bill Kenny for his friend, Governor Al Smith, to use as a private office. A hang-out and nominal nightclub for Smith’s circle, it was known as the Tiger Room and featured appearances by numerous popular entertainers of the time, including Will Rogers. Governor Smith was instrumental in supporting the construction of the Empire State Building and watched the structure rise from this location in 1930-1931.
304 Park Avenue South features two penthouses which serve as office space for tenants, including international modeling firm IMG. The building itself was recognized for its architectural and historic significance and was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.